Thursday, August 19, 2010

Video/transcript @RodBegbie asks Facebook's Zuckerberg how to remove his home address from public Places - DAILY VIOLET:

@RodBegbie
First question, quick question, eh you mentioned privacy controls -- over here, by the way -- and you mentioned privacy controls for check-ins and for people, I'm wondering what privacy controls are for locations, if someone creates a venue for my apartment when I'm having a party, em, what controls do I have to remove it and get my address off of Facebook?

Zuckerberg
(pause: hands microphone to engineer)

Facebook Places Engineer
Um, by default when you create Places we do tell you that they *are* public places… so by intention we expect these to be public places *but* we have various visibility rules that decide when places become public -- uh -- on a wider level, so if you create a place, usually it's only going to be visible to you, and your friends, but if enough people check in, uh, we try to determine that hey, there is a place that a lot of people are interested in, then we promote it to be public.

@RodBegbie
But do I have any control to shut it down?

Facebook Places Engineer
Uh, you can take it down, you can, like, delete it.

@RodBegbie
Even if someone else created it?

Facebook Places Engineer
Uh, you can report it if somebody else created it -- yeah, you can flag a place, so if something is offensive or you don't like it you can flag it, and if enough people do it we'll take it down.

@RodBegbie
But, what if I'm the only one who flags it, because it's my apartment?

Facebook Places Engineer
If you are the one who created it--

@RodBegbie
What if someone else created it while I was having the party? Do I have the power to remove it?

Facebook Places Engineer
Yeah, you'll have to flag it to remove it, yeah.